Giving up sweets, flour, potatoes, and rice hasn’t been too difficult once I got over my addiction for carbohydrates, but now I am eating a good portion of my meals with extra helpings from the meat group I really miss adding a good helping of BBQ sauce. After checking my local grocery store for a low carb option and only finding a selection of high sugar and corn syrup choices I opted to make my own. After a bit of experimentation I came up with the following recipe which has easily taken care of my BBQ sauce needs while still watching my waistline.
- 3 teaspoon bacon grease (or fat rendered from 2 pieces of bacon)
- 1 small onion (grated)
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 12 can Diet Dr Pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Grate onions using smallest grater you have and sauté at medium-low heat for 20 minutes. This should caramelize of the onions to give your BBQ sauce some extra distinct flavor as well as bit more sweetness.
- Add grated garlic and cook for 3 more minutes
- Pour in Diet Dr Pepper to deglaze the pan and add remaining ingredients and whisk well.
- Cook on low heat for at least 30 minutes
This should give you about 2 cups of BBQ sauce, which should be good in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.