One of the difficult things about eating healthy is when things get busy and you need a snack/meal on the go. Other than something like beef jerky there are not too may processed items that are worth putting in your body. Previously I would have grabbed a granola bar in this occasion but decided to put together and easy paleo replacement for granola.
This recipe has lots of healthy nuts, a bit of sweetness from some honey, and a touch of satisfying dark chocolate as an excellent snack/dessert or even as a meal replacement when you just don’t have time to prepare something.
|Paleo granola recipe|| |
- 1 cup cashews (coarsely chopped)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup pistachios (coarsely chopped)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 0.5 oz (2 squares) of dark chocolate (coarsely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Add all ingredients (except chocolate) into microwave safe container.
- Cook for 30 seconds in microwave to soften honey and coconut oil.
- Stir ingredients until well combined and spread out on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes stirring every 5 minutes and pull out when granola has a nice dark brown color.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and mix in chopped chocolate.
- Store in an air tight container for 2-3 weeks but guessing it will not last that long.
Of course the chocolate/honey is optional if you want to have a lower carb snack option. You can also play with the type of nuts to what you have on hand a couple of great choices would be pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, or slivered almonds.