To be honest with you’re the thought of consuming cooked spinach had always repulsed me, but wanting to sneak a few more veggies into my breakfast I decided to add a little spinach to my morning omelet and was pleasantly surprised.
Fat Guy’s Spinach and Sausage Omelet
- 1 tsp. bacon grease (can also go with butter here)
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach (large handful if starting with fresh)
- 1 sausage link (chopped)
- 1/4 inch section of green onion (bulb to light green area)
- 2 large eggs with tablespoon water
- pinch of Kosher Salt
- couple grinds of fresh ground pepper
- small handful of pepper jack cheese (1/3 oz.)
- I typically start with 1/2 cup of frozen spinach which I placed in the refrigerator the night before, but I had some fresh spinach in the fridge so I did a quick chopping. You do not have to go too crazy here the spinach will shrink significantly after you start cooking. I also finely chopped my green onion and sliced up my sausage link..
- Next I add all the ingredients into a pan set at medium heat placing the onions in the bacon grease and once they become soft (you should really start smelling the onions now) Mix all ingredients together and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the eggs whisked with a whisk or form with the tablespoon of water and top with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the top of eggs appear firm. This is a critical moment, too long and you have slightly browned eggs, too little and your eggs will probably not survive the next flipping step (though in this case call it a scramble and you are good)
- Now it is time to flip those eggs, with a little practice you can do a cool pan flip, but I normally play it safe and use a spatula.
Nutritional Info: 346 cal, 27g fat, 5g carbs, 2g fiber, 1g sugar, 20g protein, 199% Vit-A, 31% Vit-C, 25% Calcium, 20% Iron