Beef jerky is great low carb paleo snack, the only problem is the stuff is not cheap. Fortunately you can make your own very quickly and save a little money if you go through the stuff like I do.
I actually bought some bottom round steak already sliced for $4.79 for 1.20lbs of meat which after drying results in 8.1 ounces of delicious beef jerky or $0.59 per ounce. Compare that to one of the commercial brands at $1.66 per ounce so you really can save a bit of money. Buy an economy pack of meat and slice it yourself and you could save even more.
|Making low-carb paleo beef jerky|| |
- 1-2 lbs of lean beef
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freeze meat for 30 minutes to make slicing into ¼ inch pieces easier.
- Take meat and combine with all ingredients and place into a gallon Ziploc back and remove as much air as possible.
- Place in your fridge overnight.
- Add marinated meat to your food dehydrator at the lowest heat setting. (No dehydrator lay on baking cooling racks in your oven at its lowest setting with oven cracked open with some wadded up aluminum foil)
- Let dry for 4-6 hours (depending on the heat) you know when it is down when it cracks on the edges when you bend it.
- Eat any fatty pieces you have first since it could go rancid, put the rest in your fridge where it will be good for a couple months...though I doubt it will be there that long.