There are many benefits to chocolate other than being delicious, dark chocolate is a powerful antioxidant which free radicals, destructive molecules that are implicated in heart disease and other ailments. The problem is you add milk and sugar to this equation and you loose many of the benefits. Combine this with the addition of the Omega-3 content in the coconut oil you have a treat which can benefit your whole body. At only 2 grams of carbs with the non-chocolate chip version (5g net carb grams) withthis is a great way to get some sweets this holiday without the sugar crash.
The recipe below which I affectionately call a heaping teaspoon of chocolate since every ingredient is a heaping teaspoon (minus salt unless you want a chocolate salt lick)
Start by adding a heaping teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, artificial sweetener, coconut oil, and your favorites nuts (I prefer slivered almonds) Microwave coconut oil for 15 seconds and then again for another 15 seconds to just starts to melt.
Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined and pour into a mold or simply into a Ziploc bag and place it in the fridge. In just a few minutes it will begin to solidify but give it a good hour to get the whole melts in your mouth not in your hands experience.
If you are ok with a little sugar you can also add 1 heaping teaspoon of chocolate chips for a different layer of richness.
Given the non-oxadiative ingredients this probably would last almost indefinately in your fridge but I doubt there will be a problem with these sticking around too long…
|Heaping teaspoon of low carb chocolate recipe|| |
- 1 heaping teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon artificial sweetener
- 1 heaping teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon chopped/sliced nuts
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 heaping teaspoon chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine cocoa and artificial sweetener together until well combines.
- Place coconut oil (and optional chocolate chips) in microwave safe container and cook on high for 15 seconds and again for another 15 seconds.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir until in liquid form.