With Halloween coming up and the other holidays coming up soon I decided to make up a low carb version of my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. At 171 calories per slice and only 2 net carbs, compared to the classic version at 290 calories and 39 net carbs. You can enjoy this version during the holidays without packing on several extra pounds come next new year, without any loss in enjoyment.
|Low carb pumpkin pie recipe|| |
- Almond low carb crust (see below)
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree (or 15 oz can of pumpkin)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup Splenda
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Servings: 8
- Nutritional Info: 171 calories, 15g fat, 2g net carbs, 3g fiber, 5g protein
- Mix sugar substitute, salt, spices, lemon into large bowl. Beat in eggs then pumpkin puree. Finally add the coconut milk and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into chilled pie shell and make at 425F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes reduce temperature to 350F. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours
- Note: If you are lacking some of the spices above…you can replace the spices above with
- pumpkin pie spice.
- Add some artificially sweetened whipping cream and enjoy.
Almond Low Carb Crust
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon Splenda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine Splenda and half of the almond flour with butter.
- Spread on bottom of cake pan (or fancy spring loaded cheesecake pan if you own one)
- Dust the rest of the almond flour over mixture in pan and use a flat object (I went with a measuring cup) to compact crust to make a single even layer.
- Cook in oven for 10 minutes or until you can smell a nice nutty flavor in your kitchen.