Was a nice hot day today and decided to make something to cool us off without getting a huge sugar rush at the same time. I came up with this recipe that with a modest service is under 190 calories and just 7 grams of carbohydrates. Using some freshly picked blackberries I picked myself.
- 4 cups of fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of Splenda
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half (or 3/4 skim/low fat milk + 1 cup of heavy cream)
- 1 cup Splenda
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Pour blackberries, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of Splenda into saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes. Press cooked blackberry mixture through fine metal mesh to filter out the seeds and chill “filtered blackberry syrup”
- Heat half-and-half with 1 cup of Splenda in saucepan at low heat until mixture becomes uniformly heated.
- Beat egg yolks until pale yellow and smooth and creamy.
- Beat in warm mixture into egg yolk 1/4 of the total at a time to slowly bring up the temperature of the eggs (tempering) to avoid making some nice scrambled eggs
- Move mixture to saucepan and cook at medium-low stirring constantly just until you begin to start to get a whiff of scrambled eggs. Immediately remove mixture from stove and strain through fine metal mesh to filter out any cooked eggs.
- Add heavy cream and chilled “filtered blackberry syrup” to custard mixture and chill in your refrigerator until cold.
- Pour chilled mixture into your ice cream maker, after about 30 minutes should be thick enough to eat as soft serve or wait after it has been in the freezer for a couple hours for the hard variety.
Nutritional Info (1/2 cup): 188 calories, 17g fat, 7g carbs, 3g sugar, 3g protein